Monday, June 4, 2012

Crowd Surfing!



I should begin by writing that since my laptop and computer are now packed up, ready for the move to Colorado springs, that this will be the first (and maybe last)blogpost I write from my I-pad. Please excuse the editing errors, I will blame them on Apple's spellchecker...

 For the past month or so, I have been contemplating and thinking about what the most important ingredient is in whether a ministry is successful or not. That is, I have been asking myself the question of what the most immortant dynamic in whether a pastor, or spiritual leader, is fruitful, effective, healthy, and happy in a particular call setting. Obviously this question is forefront in my mind as I move from an existing call setting to a new one. What is it that makes a great pastor? And, of course, the answer is - God! But what else? And I have arrived at an answer. A good/great pastor requires a great congregation. A pastor cannot exceed the support, spiritual maturity, effectiveness, faith, prayer life, of his/her church. Being a good pastor (I will refrain from the word "great" since only God is great, and humans are only very occasionally just "good") needs the support of a congregation. Here's the image that keeps coming to me.

 It's like Crowd Surfing!

 Have you ever been to a rock concert, when, at the most exciting moment in the show, the lead vocalist puts down his instrument (I've never seen a woman crowd surf before), and launches himself into the audience, and at the very same moment, a hundred pairs of hands reach up and catch the singer? What usually happens then is that the singer is moved throughout the audience, being held up and volleyed along by the people. If the people drop the singer, the singer falls to the ground, to be badly injured. But if the audience all work together to hold the singer up, he is safe, and actually has an enjoyable ride through the crowd. Being a pastor is like crowd surfing. Every week, from the front of the church, the pastor launches him/herself into the congregation, in the sermon. If the congregation are in prayer, and spiritual health, and have open hearts and minds, ready for the work of the Holy Spirit, the pastor is moved through the crowd, effortlessly, caringy, hopefully, and lovingly. It's actually a fun experience! And God uses this dance, to change lives, and renew hearts and souls.

 So, don't be surprised some Sunday if yours truly launches himself into the congregation, whereever I am speaking -for Crowd Surfing!!

 The question only remains, will catch me? I know you will! And God will be in our midst.

All for now,
GB

1 comment:

  1. Graham,
    This is Scott Nowack (PTS class of '99). I'm pastor of a PC(USA) church in Kilgore, Texas. Thank you for your refreshing honesty and integrity. Crowd surfing is a great analogy for the interplay between pastor and their congregation. Your words here have struck a chord with me and have given me some great food for thought. Thank you and blessings on your new call in Colorado Springs. I have an old friend Monet Martin who attends your church with her husband and children. Just FYI.

    ReplyDelete